By Guest Blogger: Nancy Wile
Not only eating good food is required for a healthy pregnancy, but exercising is also vital for childbirth. During pregnancy, most exercises are safe to perform, provided you do the same as per the instructions. The safest and most productive form of exercise during pregnancy is YOGA. It is especially of advantage when combined with a mild cardio like walking. When expecting, you can take up the workout routine of yoga to stay in shape and deal with the physical and mental stress with an ease.
You might be excited to know the benefits that the practice offers during pregnancy. Remember that the main objective of yoga is to relax completely. It is the perfect a way to deal with a lot of emotions evoked during the pregnancy. Doing yoga prepares your body for the extreme changes that it is going to experience in the months to come. It also enhances blood circulation, tone muscles and maintains the balance of the body. Not only this, but it also helps to relax and steer through labor quickly.
Poses to practice during pregnancy:
Always start with a breathing exercise of about 3-5 minutes. It is the best way to get ready for the other yoga poses.
- Diaphragmatic breathing: Deep breathing or diaphragm breathing is a breathing exercise that involves contraction of the diaphragm. This muscle is located between the thoracic cavity and the abdominal cavity. It helps to improve certain factors like cardio-respiratory functions, respiratory muscle strength and also help to keep the mind calm.
- Additional note: Remember, pregnancy is not a time to experiment! Make sure, you practice the following yoga poses in the presence of a helper or under the supervision of an expert yoga instructor.
- Chair pose (Utkasana): It is essential during pregnancy to transfer some weight from the abdomen and back to your legs. This yoga pose helps you do that and additionally, it not only stimulates the muscles in your legs but also your thighs and hips. It reduces or prevents the swelling by immensely increasing the blood circulation in your limbs.
Chair pose | Photo: Bella Zanesco | Model: Elisha Young
- Warrior pose 1 (Virabhadrasana): If you want to explore your upper body you should refer to this pose. It helps to open up the chest and strengthen the legs. It also relaxes your mind and prepares your spine to take the weight of the growing uterus. It restores the health of the spine in the most effective way.
- Butterfly pose (Purna titli asana): The butterfly pose is an amazingly effective stretch for comfort from stress and tiredness. It improves the flexibility and opens up the hips and thighs. Additionally, it stimulates the digestive and reproductive organs.
Butterfly pose | Photo: Carra Lee Collective
Remember, you are special and you deserve a healthy and happy life. Pregnancy is the most beautiful feeling that a woman can experience! So try this prenatal yoga training, and get ready for a new start of the life. By embracing prenatal yoga you will not only sail smoothly through this boat of pregnancy but will also pass with ease the much-dreaded labor.
About the Author:
Hi! I’m Nancy Wile, an advanced yoga teacher and the founder of Yoga Education Institute in California. I do my best to help all my students find a sense of ease and mindfulness in each posture that they can then incorporate into other aspects of their lives. I want you to come and join yoga workshops as you are and have some fun, and know that everything you need is right there inside of you.